My time-motion stack made it into the Top20 of the international Mirabaud Yacht Racing Photo Contest. This is really great since it means that the image will be displayed on some events! When I planned this shot in winter 2016/17 I never thought that this concept would work so well – although I felt that the potential application of these kind of shots is clearly multi-folded. First tests in April already went very well. Its a very graphical visual but these kind of shot composites also reveal tactical errors or wrong tacking decisions. The flight altitude limitation is basically the main problem for these copter based imaging concepts.
Puh – this was bad news yesterday: Adobe published that Lightroom will be a subscription only software in the future. Lightroom 6.13 will be last stand alone update of Lightroom.
Subscription based software licensing is a no-go for me. I will definitely move away from Adobe in the next two years. With support of the D850 in Version 6.13 I will likely make the move by the end of 2018 or beginning of 2019 but I will definitely not buy myself into a cloud based licensing model.
” … a subscription model for catalog-based software is outrageous.” (a comment on PhotographyLife) I fully have to agree, Adobe just killed itself in some parts of the Pro market. So far I can only see “Capture 1” as an alternative. They will likely have a big smile on their faces right now. I will monitor the development of the catalog-based software solutions and will give some options a test drive – but … Adobe LR is not my future anymore – sorry Adobe – too much greed! Good luck with that. mtc, Sören
One of my shots made it into this year “Mirabaud Yacht Racing Photo Contest”. This contest is the only sailing and yacht racing image contest available and to have one image displayed there is a really nice year-end success and directs some attention and awareness to your work.
Selecting the one shot of a full sailing season for the contest is however a real challenge – I went through my LR library and reviewed all my 4-5star and BestOf selections and finally came up with 10 candidate shots. The int505 stack from the 505 IDM wasnt my first choice originally but it had this “I have to look closer – whats going on”-effect that only few images generate. Its hard to create shots that remain interesting and complex even after looking at them for a while. Adding time as a component to images is always adding a lot complexity. Its easy to visualize tacking-errors or positional changes – tactical aspects of sailing appear visually. This can lead to strong imaging concepts.
In fact the original 505 stack was a wee bit different. I removed the multiple shots of the rib that sits between the lee marks. It creates this one-against-many effect that makes the image more powerful but the contest regulations do not allow removal of objects and the stack is likely also at the border of violating these rules anyway. So I kept the multiple rib objects in the stack in the original submission. The Mirabaud Contest goes here: http://www.yachtracingimage.com/gallery/contest-2017/soren-hese/
Zum Seglerhaus-Preis des VSaW waren die Bedingungen etwas zweigeteilt, Wind gab es aber das ganze Wochenende. Schönes Licht brachte der Sonntag, allerdings leider nicht mehr sonderlich viele Wettfahrten. Die Bahn war diesmal etwas zu knapp vor dem Berliner ED-R 4 Flug-Sperrgebiet gelegen, weshalb der Copter nicht weit neben der 2ten Luvtonne stehen konnte. Dort spielten sich allerdings mit dem schönen Halbwindkurs in den Spitzenböen sehr schöne Actionszenen ab. Gut zu beobachten war das diesmal auch von der DLRG Station am “Rehwäldchen” wo sich auch so einige Leute eingefunden hatten. Bei tief stehender Sonne sind die Oktober Regatten immer etwas Besonderes (wenn denn die Sonne scheint – derzeit ja brilliant die Bedingungen).
Die volle Galerie liegt jetzt hier online:
Die vollständige Galerie zur Drachen IDM 2017 ist nun hier online:
Klasse Tage am Ammersee! Leider hat es dann bei den komplexen Bedingungen insgesamt nur zu 3 Wettfahrten gereicht. Damit konnte der Status der IDM nicht erreicht werden. Der gesunkene Drache konnte wohl unbeschädigt aus 30m geborgen werden. Ergebnisse unter manage2sail: